The Australian High Commission in Colombo continues to offer passport services during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Visiting our offices during COVID-19
- You must have an appointment to visit our office.
- If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment. Please do not attend our office if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
- Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment. If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend.
- Please arrive as close to your appointment time as possible.
- You must bring and wear a mask. We will ask you to remove your mask briefly to confirm your identity.
- You may be asked to wash or sanitise your hands before commencing your interview.
Application for an Australian Passport
Passport interviews are conducted at the Australian High Commission in Colombo, Monday to Friday, excluding some Sri Lankan and Australian public holidays.
All applications must be lodged in person and by appointment only in Colombo.
The Australian Passport Office has introduced a new portal for clients to complete their passport applications online. This will require clients to first register for an account before completing the passport application.
A quick guide to applying for an Australian passport overseas can be found here:
Please read all instructions carefully. Incorrectly completed applications will cause delays. Remember to plan your travel accordingly and lodge your application early to ensure you get your passport in good time. Under our Client Service Charter, when a completed application has been received, we aim to issue passport within three weeks. Priority processing service is not available in Sri Lanka.
Payment must be made in LKR by credit or debit card at the time of lodgement. Cash payments are not accepted. Fees are subject to exchange rate fluctuations and/or increases in the passport fees.
The Australian Passports (Application Fees) Determination 2015 provides for the annual CPI indexation of Australian travel document fees on 1 January each year.
From 1 January 2021 the following AUD fees will apply (payable in LKR):
- a 10-year validity passport for people aged 16 and over will cost $301
- a 5-year validity passport for people under 16 or 75 and over will cost $152
- Emergency and replacement passports will cost $189
- The overseas surcharge for adult applicants will be $135
- The overseas surcharge for child applicants will be $66
You need an appointment to collect your passport. The High Commission will contact you once the passport is ready for collection.